Total Views

Tuesday, October 15, 2024

Painting Sunsets

I’m in the beginning stage of painting a lighthouse with a beautiful sunset backdrop. The inspiration for this piece came from a photo I found online and wanted to recreate this subject using acrylic paint. 

Where do I start? Was my question as I studied the photo. At times, I have to study other artist’s paintings or follow along with a YouTube tutorial. However, I decided to get started and see what happens. I began with painting the entire canvas a light yellow hue diluted with water. Then I preceded with painting the top portion of canvas with a pink (magenta) tone mixed with white. The bottom portion I used a darker pink tone mixed with crimson red, orange, magenta and white. I did not gradient the paint in with the yellow because I waited too long since it had dried. 

Next, I used a mixture of crimson red, orange, magenta ultramarine blue and white until I was satisfied with the color for sky. When I begin a painting project on my own without help from a tutorial I often make many mistakes and try and learn from them. That is what I call a working experience or just plain luck if my subject turns out.

For the center color I use raw umber, ultramarine blue, crimson red, orange and white. Basically, the same colors I used for the sky but added more raw umber to create the land stretched across the center of the canvas.

The fun and most challenging part of a painting is when it’s time to blend or get rid of hard edges. This helps create a more realistic sky. This takes practice and after 20 years I still have issues. Recently, I purchased a mop brush to help with this technique and find it does help. Learning how to paint is the “why” I love most. It also is satisfying when a painting takes on a life of its own. 

Lastly, I use a cut out shape of the lighthouse to see where I will eventually paint my main character. It helps me see visually instead of instinctively knowing where to place this shape. That way I don’t begin painting and say, “whoops”; it doesn’t look right and then paint over my error. 

I will post more photos when I get further into this painting. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Painting Sunsets

I’m in the beginning stage of painting a lighthouse with a beautiful sunset backdrop. The inspiration for this piece came from a photo I fou...