Total Views

Saturday, January 21, 2012

New Addition "Mt Palisades"



Here's a glimpse of my latest painting, inspired by a photo captured during a hike at Mississippi Palisades Park in Savanna, IL. Upon reviewing the photo, I felt compelled to introduce mountains into the background to enhance visual interest. Drawing inspiration from the work of my favorite photographer,
Thomas Mangelsen, I embarked on my first venture into mountain landscapes, also experimenting with a palette knife for the first time, a departure from my usual brush technique.

Initially, wielding the palette knife felt awkward, given my familiarity with brushes. As I navigated the interplay of knife and paint, realizing my envisioned image proved challenging. Over the years, this painting underwent numerous transformations. There were moments where I contemplated starting anew, yet I persisted, layering paint upon paint.

At times, I found satisfaction in its evolution, only to later mar it with additional textures that detracted from its essence. For nearly a decade, the canvas languished in a corner, until I resolved to reinvigorate it with fresh strokes.


Photograph by Diana Van Baale
at Mississippi Palisades Park


Photograph by Thomas Mangelsen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Furry Friends

Painting people’s pets are challenging. Like people, animals also display a certain facial expression that only their owners love or know mo...