Total Views

Tuesday, April 2, 2024

Bear Essentials


One lesson I've failed to grasp from painting is the art of stepping back when encountering a problem with a project.

The bear essentials of Painting 101, it's advised to take a break and return with a fresh perspective. However, I seem to defy this wisdom. Instead of stepping away, I'm drawn to confronting the issue head-on, attacking it before the paint even has a chance to dry.

Take, for instance, the painting below. In the first photo, I began replicating this piece from the reference photo captured by my mother during her time in Alaska. It depicted a mother bear and her cubs frolicking in the tall grass. Before I had the opportunity to finish my emotions stirred within me, likely stemming from personal turmoil. 

My intention was to present this painting to my mother for her 71st birthday. However, during this period, I was grappling with a mix of emotions as a dear friend battled cancer and my mother faced unexplained health issues.

In the fourth photo, I decided to express my inner turmoil by aggressively scratching and scraping at the paint with a palette knife. Yet again, I altered the painting dramatically, much to my disappointment.

This piece serves as a constant reminder, hanging in a prominent place, of the essential nature of bearing our emotions to overcome adversity and emerge stronger.

In the beginning, the grass was not turning out to my satisfaction 

The painting was just about complete until I decided to add texture

Reference photo 


Finished painting with palette knife 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Alaska

Alaska, embraced by deep blue seas and towering, majestic mountains. Out on the water, fishing for clusters of salmon or halibut to sell at ...