Total Views

Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Portrait Pitfalls

















When I embarked on my journey of painting portraits, my primary aim was to capture the likeness of my subjects. However, I quickly realized the limitations of my skills, particularly in achieving realism, a feat that demanded abilities beyond my current amateur proficiency.

Reflecting on a piece I completed eight years ago; I acknowledge the significant growth I've experienced through subsequent portrait projects. One invaluable lesson learned was the importance of creating a grayscale underpainting to better perceive the play of light and shadow on the subject's features before introducing color.

Despite my efforts, I encountered challenges during the process, notably in achieving a natural skin tone. Overworking certain areas resulted in a muddy appearance, leading to feelings of frustration and defeat. Despite these setbacks, I persisted, refusing to abandon the piece until I deemed it complete and affixed my signature.

This particular painting holds sentimental value, depicting my daughter Natalie and my grandson, intended as a Christmas gift. The pressure to deliver a satisfactory outcome was palpable, especially as I struggled with adjusting the paint colors to achieve the desired skin tone.

Consequently, I didn't deem the piece satisfactory in my own estimation. However, my grandson's reaction far outweighed my own feelings. His delighted smile upon receiving it was all that truly mattered.

Painting, I've come to realize, is an ongoing learning process, irrespective of one's initial skill level. Success hinges not only on talent but also on the dedication to cultivate patience, passion, and practice, essential elements in mastering the art of refining one's craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Diving Sea Turtle

Oh ancient sea turtle, free and bold, Diving to the depths untold, Rising high with grace and might, To nest upon the shore at night. Lay yo...