Total Views

Friday, March 22, 2024

Lean Over Thick


In oil painting, you may have heard of the principle "fat over lean," referring to paint consistency. Initially, I found "thick over thin" confusing and made mistakes in earlier works. Rushing the process resulted in dull colors as subsequent layers were applied before the first one dried properly.



Before starting this painting, I premixed my colors without adding linseed oil, my preferred choice for thinning paint. Then applied a thin coat of pigmented oil paint as my initial layer. Letting the layers dry in between. I also use liquid Liquin to help speed up the drying time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Diving Sea Turtle

Oh ancient sea turtle, free and bold, Diving to the depths untold, Rising high with grace and might, To nest upon the shore at night. Lay yo...